Hey everyone, here we go. . . . . .
IN OUR WORLD
Coming to you from beautiful Austin TX , where I have a couple of short client meetings, then Laura and I get to spend some time with our son’s. Also a little relaxation before I hit the ground running with a very busy July.
The July newsletter is available: http://tinyurl.com/ljeg53
I am working on a couple of curriculum projects for clients where they are really looking hard an education as a strategy to build a better company. Every organization is filled with human assets, the better those assets are, the better the company – PERIOD. Look hard at what you are doing to position your team to bring their best to your customers.
Talent will become your most valuable asset as the pool of really good people gets thinner. Why would a people want to be involved with your company? I ask this question all the time. There is a ton of data out there that supports these two key categories:
- Value: They want to feel they are of value in what they do. TELL THEM!
- Growth: They want to grow in their skill and knowledge.
Education initiatives satisfy both of areas. Think about educating your people to build a strong future.
HEY, YOU CAN FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER –CREATIVEVENTURE
AND ON FACEBOOK – STEPHEN HARVILL!
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
I read with great interest the reports that were coming out of the big CEO Conference hosted by MIT in
One session dealt with defining a successful business and much to my delight one model had only THREE points:
- Willingness to Experiment: Successful companies try things. They look for ideas and then are willing to IMPLEMENT them! Add real thinking to the formula and the risk is mitigated.
- Method for Measuring Success That is Not Just Numbers: Find your meaningful metrics, but don’t think the numbers will tell you everything. Find out what people are thinking by asking them.
- Method for Scaling Success to the Organization and Market at Large: The success in an idea is found in its traction. How does the impact of the idea move through both the organization and the market?
An interesting model!
MOVIES: Public Enemies I’m a pretty big Johnny Depp fan. I think we will take the boys to the Alamo Draft House in
NetFlix Fans: The Zero Effect: This is a GREAT Sherlock Holmes like mystery feature an eccentric detective who performs with a high level of mental acuity.
BOOKS: The Silver Lining – By Anthony. This book looks at the innovative structures companies are launching to change the face of business as a new era is dawning.
MUSIC: When ever I start to learn a new song I can’t get it out of my mind. So here are two versions of the great Counting Crows song – A Long December (the second version is a cover by my new favorite Youtube cover girl!)
WEB SITES: Great site to understand social media.
A few new vocabulary words you need to know:
· Bricker Mortis – A housing market that has completely dried up.
· Slip of the Thumb – Unintentionally sending a text message to the wrong person.
· Econoisseur – Finding high quality items at bargain prices.
· Goldman Sacked – Fired investment bankers after the economic downturn in 08.
· Black Buried: Feeling of being overwhelmed by flood of email on your mobile device.
Now you know what everyone is talking about.
There’s reason to believe that this year may be
Better than the last.
Drop me a note with your comments at email@example.com
Thanks for stopping by and until next time, Adios and Aloha.