Hey everyone, here we go. . . . . .
IN OUR WORLD
Coming to you live from beautiful and I do mean beautiful Newport Beach, CA.
Any time you can escape the heat of Texas in July, it’s a big win!
This week has been huge for Creative Ventures. Two projects that had been residing in the pipeline are now confirmed! Really exciting! As soon as those two became real projects, two more filled in their place in the pipeline. It is always amazing how business generates in my little world. One of the pipeline projects came from a client I haven’t worked for in 10 years!
In case you missed the July newsletter, here is a link. There is a podcast on the Repeatable Successful Acts platform in the newsletter:
HEY, YOU CAN FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER –CREATIVEVENTURE
AND ON FACEBOOK – STEPHEN HARVILL!
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
I was recently asked to define a “good manager”. Sounds simple enough and I was tempted to just start talking, but I slowed down and asked; Why? The client was getting ready to take a strong look at defining job descriptions. Ah, the question was IMPORTANT. Here are a couple of items that made up MY definition:
- Understand Priorities: The simplest is JOB 1 – help my company achieve its goals by facilitating flow and decision making.
- Provide Tools: A good manager provides tools/training to allow his/her team to reach their highest potential.
- Behave Like a Leader: Be genuine in your style and open to listening at all times.
Now, the definition we created was, unfortunately, more complex as the aspects unique to the company needed to play a role, but we used these three as a foundation to begin our THINKING about the idea.
Definitions are like ideas, they have a tendency to start at a high level of complexity, but as you work through them with focus, they can achieve a level of elegant simplicity.
MOVIES: Despicable Me: The EXTENSIVE marketing campaign worked for me!
NetFlix Fans: The Last Boy Scout: A great action film with Bruce Willis in great form!
TV: HBO’s Master Class is a fantastic new series about learning from creative masters.
BOOKS: Power Friending – By Mac. An interesting read about the connective nature of relationships. It has a focus on three core ideas – Authenticity, Consistency and Bravery in your pursuit of the potential of impactful connections.
MUSIC: My brother-in-law, Curt, turned me on the Alpha Rev.
WEB SITES: Kind of fun!
SOUTH OF NORMAL
During a recent study into the algorithms of search engines I stumbled upon the elegant simplicity of the search engines used by adult entertainment sites. FIRST – I am not advocating these types of sites, just the unbelievably efficient search engines that they have designed. I also stumbled upon some interesting facts:
- The adult industry generates more revenue than Microsoft, Google, Amazon, eBay, Yahoo, Apple and Netflix combined.
- China is the number 1 viewer of adult web sites. South Korea, which is only 26th in the world’s population, is # 2 in viewing, followed by Japan. The US is a distant 4th.
- The word “sex” is searched equally by men and women.
- 17% of ALL web sites are related to adult entertainment.
With all of this, WHY oh WHY can’t other sites, like retailers learn how to develop a good search engine??? Laura was trying to find a certain light fixture and after 30 minutes just gave up!
Drop me a note with your comments at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for stopping by and until next time, Adios and Aloha.