Hey everyone, here we go. . . . . .
IN OUR WORLD
Summer is really here in Dallas. Damn, it’s hot! I guess I suffer from “weather amnesia” and when we get to triple digits I seem to have forgotten from last summer that it’s normal.
This week EXPLODED into new projects and in-town client meetings. I have a deep appreciation of the random nature of things and adjusted my weeks plan to accept the new stuff with open arms. Good planning allows for unpredictable events.
New curriculum development, sales process work and strategic planning templates filled the week. I added some real forward progress on the new web site design and still think we may meet the end of the third quarter launch date. The new web site will see a complete new look and feel for the blog.
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who read my stuff. Last week I had some problems with the hotel internet and I thought I had posted the blog but it went into the “drafts” folder. I had TONS of email from people wondering what happened and where the weekly posting was. Thanks for reading!
Next week I will be in Southern California again for three separate projects and presentations. Anything to get out of this heat!
HEY, YOU CAN FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER –CREATIVEVENTURE
AND ON FACEBOOK – STEPHEN HARVILL!
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
How important is the attention to detail? Where is the value in “every little thing?”
Well, it’s no surprise, it’s huge. This one aspect of planning, understanding the impact of details is a foundation concept in the idea of simplification. The more complex any issue, the more difficult it is to give the right amount of attention to the details. Remember, it is the end user that get’s to enjoy your work on the details.
- APPLE: The elegant simplicity of their devices is the end result of their attention to detail. The endless hours of work in design and thoughtful reduction become the elegant iPad in our hands.
We have an instinctive draw towards the simple, the elegant and the powerful.
- AVATAR: The blockbuster movie of 2009 hired Paul Frommer, a world class linguist to create the unique language of the alien characters. Frommer created an ENTIRE LANGUAGE for a movie. The detail developed with the characters. It created a sense of culture that every viewer engaged in.
When planning anything, create a strategy that looks at the end user. What detail will make the idea a separator in your business? What will the client say about how they interface with the idea?
We recently finished a new learning initiative for a client and created a simple delivery process that had only two core parts. It allowed us to create elegant details that immediately engaged the potential participants. We now have a waiting list to get into the program!
Details are important. Simplify to make sure you can see all the “i’s “ that need dotting and “t’s” that need crossing!
MOVIES: Inception: This movie looks so cool, I can hardly wait!
NetFlix Fans: Daybreakers: Not that great, but an interesting take on the vampire craze.
TV: USA Network continues to produce some of the best in serial TV. The new Covert Affairs is fantastic and the new seasons of Burn Notice and White Collar really hit their creative mark. Check your listings and get your DVR programmed.
BOOKS: How the Economy Grows and Why it Crashes – By Schiff/Schiff. Want to understand the stuff that makes money important? This is a GREAT place to start!
MUSIC: I was cleaning the kitchen and had my Jimmy Buffett cranked up to ear splitting levels when this song came on and it had me dancing around the tile floor (not a pretty sight).
WEB SITES: No reason you can’t work on it!
SOUTH OF NORMAL
OK – Here is some more info on the explosive growth of internet stuff. It always continues to push our brains just South of Normal.
- Europe leads in the growth of wireless broadband.
- Broadband (the ability to move data through the very air you breathe) is growing at about 71% a year.
- VoIP and IM capability is growing over 100% a year.
- Over the last 5 years the use has grown from 15 billion minutes to over 450 billion minutes – DAMN!
- Asia is the biggest user of Twitter @ 37%. US is number 2.
- Twitter is the 12th most popular internet site!
I am typing my blog while listening to a Jimmy Buffett interview with the British Open on in the background. Ain’t technology wonderful!
Drop me a note with your comments at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for stopping by and until next time, Adios and Aloha.